Engineers Australia is the peak body for the engineering profession in Australia. The organisation was founded in 1919, as the Institution of Engineers Australia. With approximately 115,000 individual members, we are also the voice of the profession.
For more than 100 years the work of the organisation along with its members has underpinned the progress of our nation. Our mission and vision for the future is to continue to advance the science and practice of engineering to benefit the community.
Engineering plays a pivotal role in shaping society with healthy, secure, prosperous and sustainable communities. Engineers Australia performs a range of functions on behalf of the engineering profession in Australia.
- Maintains the largest register for the engineering profession in Australia. The National Engineering Register currently includes more than 26,000 engineers.
- Accredit Australian tertiary engineering programs to international benchmarks. These include the Sydney, Dublin and Washington Accords.
- Advance engineering knowledge through nine discipline-based colleges and 29 specialist technical societies.
- Speak as the voice of the profession through government, community and media advocacy.
- Deliver ongoing professional development to the engineering profession.
- Assess migrant skills applications on behalf of the Australian government.
- Evaluate members for our internationally-benchmarked Chartered credentials.
- Represent Australia in the International Engineering Alliance and develop agreements for global professional mobility.
- Recognise and celebrate engineering excellence with prestigious individual and project awards.
Our strategic priorities
A strong professional standards framework
|For contemporary future-fit engineering professionals|
Supportive pathways for engineering cohorts
|For a more diverse, engaged engineering cohort|
An effective volunteer network
To increase the impact and value of the membership network
Leadership on behalf of the profession
|Engineering leadership and influence for society benefit|
Increasing recognition of engineering value
To support recognition of the value of engineering in the community
Read more about our strategic priorities in EA Strategy on a page.
Engineers Australia is an active member of international engineering organisations including the World Federation of Engineering Organisations and the Federation of Engineering Institutions of Asia and Pacific.
Our participation in international engineering organisations is led by Engineers Australia’s International Committee. The committee provides leadership and direction for the organisation’s international activities ensuring ongoing member benefit and alignment with the strategic priorities of Engineers Australia.
Engineers Australia is committed to working in a way that ensures the long-term survival of life on earth in a fair and equitable way. Our Sustainability Policy covers the principles, guidelines and plan we will work to for the next few years.
Our Code of Ethics which all members of Engineers Australia must abide by, requires that engineers develop sustainable engineering solutions and promote sustainability by:
- Engaging responsibly with the community and other stakeholders.
- Practising engineering to foster the health, safety and wellbeing of the community and the environment.
- Balancing the needs of the present with the needs of future generations.
We are also active contributors to political and social dialogue on sustainability and climate change through our policy and advocacy activities.
Learn more about our climate change position and initiatives.